Saturday, February 2, 2013

February 2013

FEBRUARY 2013... How did we get here? 
With each passing day, time moves more quickly than the day before.  I was sooo fortunate to spend from July until December with both of my kiddos under the same roof again.  As I think back on that time, it was pure heaven.  Or, that's how I choose to remember it.  Regina is now back in Blacksburg, finishing up her degree.  We will get to see her graduate in May.  Devan is taking driver's ed right now, so I imagine soon he'll be driving Jon and I around town as he starts practicing what he's learned in class.   It really crazy that my kids are growing up, and Jon and I are just as young as ever :) (yes, I'm going to keep telling myself that).  

With the current move to Colorado, we encountered a major increase in cost of living.  I think the only thing that's not more expensive here is gas.  Which has helped, but it's still crazy that I now spend 200$ a week on groceries.  In NC, I was able to squeak out on 100$.  So in attempt to not eat out as much, and really try to cut down on our expenses, I have been making a monthly menu.  I started in January, and it worked out pretty well.  I would say that it 1) helped me put together a grocery list for the week more quickly and 2) we did eat at home more frequently.  We certainly aren't perfect and there were a few occasions where we broke away from the calendar.  I should do a better job this month tracking that more closely, maybe even analyse it to see what's causing the lack of cooking.  Jon even made dinner a time or two last month.  

For February, I had high hopes of posting a monthly calendar on my blog.  But, much to my  disappointment I couldn't quite figure it out.  I spent over 30 minutes working on it and seriously... I have so many other things to do today, a list will have to work.  I thought it might be fun to start out with just a weeks worth of  ideas, and add to it next weekend.  I've also started running again, and can barely walk today :).  I'd like to mix things up a bit though... If I have to run 3x a week, blah.  I really don't enjoy it that much.  I'm going to attend a Nia dance class tomorrow at 10, maybe Wed. I'll go back to swim with the old ladies (some of whom were not that nice), and then do my run on Friday.  Another goal that I've had, is to eat food from home for breakfast and lunch.  This week I was 5/5 for breakfast and 4/5 for lunch.  So overall I had a 90% accuracy rate.  As an SLP, I'd call that a success LOL. 

Happy first week of February! Looks like little Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow, so they are predicting an early spring.  We shall see how that plays out in Colorado.  Happy Spring thoughts everyone! 

Sunday Feb 3 --- SuperBowl Sunday, we will have buffalo chicken strips with some other snacks
Monday Feb 4 ---Jambalaya, if I decide to add a can of rotel tomatoes again, Devan will complain
Tuesday Feb 5-- Blackened Chicken w/ avocado cream sauce 
Wednesday Feb 6-- My Dad's birthday!  Sloppy Joes on Whole wheat buns with a salad
Thursday Feb 7-- copycat Outback Steak House Alice Spring(s) Chicken, with or without the /s/ I have no idea. 
Friday Feb 8-- Pizza 
Saturday Feb 9th -- I try my hand at a type of fried shrimp that is made in the oven.  I'm attempting to alter two recipes to make this work, wish me luck! 


No comments:

Post a Comment